Air-H Edge Card H407P Setup
Trusting to the power of Linux on my laptop, I blindly ordered an AirH Edge connectivity card from JCR (Air-H (Edge) Data Card for Laptops - No Airtime or Data Charges).
Prior to leaving the US, I downloaded a few things, anticipating that I’d be ‘flying blind’ since I wouldn’t be able to connect until it actually worked. I was able to get it working eventually, but the following shows the results of a process that wasn’t plain sailing at all.
Inserting the card had promising results :
# tail /var/log/messages Jul 21 11:22:54 hudson kernel: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0 Jul 21 11:22:54 hudson kernel: cs: memory probe 0xf6000000-0xfbffffff: excluding 0xf6000000-0xf71fffff 0xf7e00000-0xf83fffff 0xf9c00000-0xfa1fffff 0xfae00000-0xfb3fffff Jul 21 11:22:54 hudson kernel: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0 Jul 21 11:22:54 hudson kernel: 0.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
But the interrupt situation seemed worrying :
andrewsm]# more /proc/interrupts CPU0 0: 4519231 XT-PIC-XT timer 1: 18190 XT-PIC-XT i8042 2: 0 XT-PIC-XT cascade 3: 157708 XT-PIC-XT serial 5: 458618 XT-PIC-XT Intel 82801DB-ICH4, ipw2200 7: 2 XT-PIC-XT parport0 8: 1 XT-PIC-XT rtc 9: 5 XT-PIC-XT acpi 11: 2519527 XT-PIC-XT yenta, yenta, uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3, ehci_hcd:usb4, radeon@pci:0000:01:00.0 12: 209 XT-PIC-XT i8042 14: 45115 XT-PIC-XT libata 15: 184709 XT-PIC-XT libata NMI: 0 LOC: 0 ERR: 0 MIS: 0
More worryingly, the GnomePPP applet reported /dev/ttyS1 as busy (and it still does, even though I’ve got everything otherwise operational).
wvdialconf didn’t find a modem.
So, on to
minicom to try and debug things interactively. Interestingly, it seems that multi-part initialization strings all result in ‘ERROR’ from the modem. After a bit of messing around,
ATDTxxxxxxxx got a ‘CONNECT’ but wasn’t responsive after that.
Finally, I decided to let wvdial do the work (since it knows about flow control and passwords). Success! It appears that
wvdialconf interrogates the modem with a multi-option string, which doesn’t appear to work on this modem.
The following setup in /etc/wvdial.conf allows
wvdial nifty to work :
[root@hudson andrewsm]# more /etc/wvdial.conf [Modem0] Modem = /dev/ttyS1 Baud = 115200 SetVolume = 0 Dial Command = ATDT Init1 = ATZ Init3 = ATM0 FlowControl = CRTSCTS [Dialer nifty] Username = BCK02dddd@nifty.com Password = JCRxddddxx Phone = 0570990999##99 Stupid Mode = 1 Init1 = ATZ # This was the default - and the modem doesn't # seem to understand multi-option commands... #Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1; &D2 +FCLASS=0 # So, splitting it up seems to do the trick Init2 = ATQ0 Init3 = ATV1 Init4 = ATE1 Init5 = ATS0=0 Init6 = AT&C1; Init7 = AT&D2 # And kill this one, which gives 'ERROR' #Init8 = AT+FCLASS=0 Inherits = Modem0
Setting up a new network connection in the System-Administration-Networking dialog (using ppp and nifty as a provider name) allows the
ppp0 to be set up, to allow regular network
Doing the following works fine : (test with ping yahoo.com, for instance) :
# /sbin/ifup ppp0